The dog community forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The dog community forum.

This is dog community forum for dog owners to discuss their dogs, dog breeds, dog health and care, dog grooming, dog shows and to learn alot more.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rocky had his medical at the vets today.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
colin
Admin
colin

Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Empty
PostSubject: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 9:36 am

I took Rocky to the vets this morning to get a full medical done on him as he is now 9 months old and to also get some idea of his growth rate, and the results are as follows.

Well according to the vet he is in very good health with no unforeseen problems, so that pleased me no end.

He weigh in at 45.30 Kg's (7.13 Stone), and he stands at 26½ inches tall at the shoulders.
So it's no wonder my legs pass out when he sits on my lap. Smile

Here's some photos of him that I took last week and today.

Rocky had his medical at the vets today. PICT2795
Rocky had his medical at the vets today. PICT2802-1
Rocky had his medical at the vets today. PICT2806-1
Rocky had his medical at the vets today. PICT2797
Rocky had his medical at the vets today. PICT2808
Rocky had his medical at the vets today. PICT2798
Rocky had his medical at the vets today. PICT2799
Back to top Go down
https://thedogcommunity.forumotion.com
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 11:13 am

I take it back colin, hes not overweight, hes still very over at the knee caps so has a bit of height to gain yet,... he is also very bum high at the moment, that would tie in with him still having some growth to go in the front legs....

I would say, not to cut back his feeding, hes not chubby at all................ the other photos of him made him look a heavy but hes not
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 11:43 am

That's good news about him not being over weigh, so I better give him some more tea as I only gave him 2 Kg's of meat tonight.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean about him still being very over at the kneecaps, as I’ve never heard of that phase before?
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 11:49 am

If you look at the front leg you have the foot,.. then the pastern, when you come up from that there is a slight lump which is the knee, if you look at it, its kinda over at the front, a dog that has finished growing and whos growth plates have fused is straighter looing...

like this..

Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Farm112ny5eb4
Rocky had his medical at the vets today. W320

I will try to crop some photos later to give the comparison xx
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 11:50 am

if you look at rockys top line hes very bum high so I would hope he has more growth to come in the front. though bum high can be a breed fault in rotties,

I think rocky may stay a little bit high in the back end as he has little angulation of the stifle, but I would think he still has a bit of height to gain in the front............
Back to top Go down
nero

nero

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Young dogs grow at different stages, the back end comes up then the front end comes up, they're all over the place at that age Colin so don't worry about it mate. Wink
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:03 pm

kaos wrote:
If you look at the front leg you have the foot,.. then the pastern, when you come up from that there is a slight lump which is the knee, if you look at it, its kinda over at the front, a dog that has finished growing and whos growth plates have fused is straighter looing...

like this..

I see what you mean now by doing a comparison between the photos.

So do you think that within another three months he will of reached his full height as it's got me wondering now how tall he is going to by fully grown.
Back to top Go down
nero

nero

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:17 pm

Rotties are still growing at 3 years old Colin, they get bigger and more mature the older they get. Smile
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:29 pm

nero wrote:
Rotties are still growing at 3 years old Colin, they get bigger and more mature the older they get. Smile

I was thinking about his body size , not his brain Laughing, because if rotties are anything like dobes then he will still do quiet a few really stupid things way after he gets though those terrible two's.
Back to top Go down
nero

nero

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:32 pm

colin wrote:
nero wrote:

I was thinking about his body size , not his brain Laughing, because if rotties are anything like dobes then he will still do quiet a few really stupid things way after he gets though those terrible two's.

Nero and Caesar are 4 years old Colin and they're still adolescents, just boys at heart really. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:53 pm

nero wrote:

they have there full height by 12 months, normaly ten months but the odd dog may grow in height up untill 12 months, they do however fill out untill they are three or over, but shouldnt get any taller after they are around ten months old...........

Last edited by kaos on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:54 pm

colin wrote:
kaos wrote:

like this..

I see what you mean now by doing a comparison between the photos.

So do you think that within another three months he will of reached his full height as it's got me wondering now how tall he is going to by fully grown.

I think rocky is gona be a big lad, lol
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 1:22 pm

I've just had a look at the breed standard and it says that male rotties should be no more than 27 inches tall at the shoulder, so as Rocky is now 26½ inches tall at the shoulder and I have got to assume that he will exceed that, does that mean that he will technically carry a fault, even though it also states the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree. Not that I'm really bothered or not whether they think he has a fault, it just that I'm trying to learn everything I can about the breed.
Back to top Go down
Losos

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 2:19 pm

Well you must be pleased he's passed the vets tests OK, he looks like a super dog to me, only thing I know from having just re-read Emma Brunos book is that at that age they need a lot of feeding because their bomes are growing so fast. She was writing about Newfies but I'm sure the same principle applies to Rotties.
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Believe me, given the chance he would eat us out of house and home.

Normally he gets fed between 3 & 3½ Kilo's of meat a day.
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 9:02 am

being slightly tall would be a fault. but if he was a super dog and all in proportion that wouldnt be an issue, many dogs over 27 inches have made champ... kaos is slightly shy of the min, but again, given the overall balance of kaos its not seen as a massive problem, balance and proportion are more important to being slighty over or under height, I wouldnt think rocky will get to far over the height
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 9:11 am

kaos wrote:
being slightly tall would be a fault. but if he was a super dog and all in proportion that wouldnt be an issue, many dogs over 27 inches have made champ... kaos is slightly shy of the min, but again, given the overall balance of kaos its not seen as a massive problem, balance and proportion are more important to being slighty over or under height, I wouldnt think rocky will get to far over the height.

Thank god for that, as I was beginning to think that he might end up being as tall as Onyx (29 inches). Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 4:35 am

colin wrote:
kaos wrote:
being slightly tall would be a fault. but if he was a super dog and all in proportion that wouldnt be an issue, many dogs over 27 inches have made champ... kaos is slightly shy of the min, but again, given the overall balance of kaos its not seen as a massive problem, balance and proportion are more important to being slighty over or under height, I wouldnt think rocky will get to far over the height.

Thank god for that, as I was beginning to think that he might end up being as tall as Onyx (29 inches). Very Happy

I would be very surprised if the put that much height on at this time
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 4:41 am

kaos wrote:
colin wrote:
kaos wrote:

I would be very surprised if the put that much height on at this time

That's such a relief to know that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rocky had his medical at the vets today.   Rocky had his medical at the vets today. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rocky had his medical at the vets today.
Page 1 of 1