The dog community forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The dog community forum.

This is dog community forum for dog owners to discuss their dogs, dog breeds, dog health and care, dog grooming, dog shows and to learn alot more.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.

Go down 
+3
kaos
nickyboy
colin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
colin
Admin
colin

Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Empty
PostSubject: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 6:19 pm

A man from north Oxfordshire has credited his pet Rottweiler with sniffing out his skin cancer.
Chris Tuffrey, from Banbury, had a mole on his chest for 15 years but "put his head in the sand" and ignored it.
But he said thanks to his dog Beamish "nuzzling and licking" him and trying to lift his arm near the mole, he went to a doctor to get it checked out.
Within a two weeks, melanoma was confirmed by the hospital and the cancerous mole was removed. Mr Tuffrey said when Beamish began nuzzling him he thought, "what's wrong with me".
When he visited his doctor in Deddington and was immediately referred to Oxford's Churchill Hospital.
Within a fortnight, melanoma was confirmed and the cancerous mole was removed.
Mr Tuffrey's case is not unique. Scientists have found in trials, dogs have detected cancers in the urine of patients despite medical tests giving negative results.
Mr Tuffrey considers Beamish a very special friend.
''He's absolutely brilliant," he said.
"He's a very laid back dog, and I shall be grateful to him for the rest of my life.''

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/7739865.stm
Back to top Go down
https://thedogcommunity.forumotion.com
nickyboy

nickyboy

PostSubject: Re: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 1:32 am

what a great story
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 2:22 am

I new when dougie was ill it was cancer, our rottie cash at the time wouldnt leave him alone. The doctors kept saying everything was fine,. but the dog was being so wierd about it all, I just new it was cancer
Back to top Go down
Losos

PostSubject: Re: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 pm

This type of story appears every so often that I'm amazed no serious and 'in depth' research has been done to verify the dogs ability to sniff out trouble.

I know it would take a lot of dogs and a lot of people but much more money has been spent on drugs which ultimately came to nothing and if more dogs were tested for this ability it would surely help in the initial diagnosis.

It would sure help the dog owning community and could help many people who have had a negative response from their GP
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 1:54 pm

Im sure there are dogs trained to sniff out skin cancer now, will need to look for a link for you losos... they are very good at picking up on surface cancer, or close to surface cancer... its the quickest test poss.... lol
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 1:58 pm

would seem that dogs can now detect deep cancers by smelling a persons breath.... I stand corrected..

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0112_060112_dog_cancer.html

I know they have been doing the surface cancers for some time though

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4515651.stm

Last edited by kaos on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
boobah

boobah

PostSubject: Re: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 1:59 pm

Great story Colin,cheers for sharing.I watched a program on tv about dogs sniffing for cancer was very interesting ,xxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Lynne

Lynne

PostSubject: Re: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 4:42 am

Thanks for that Colin. And thanks for the links Shona I knew a wee bit about surface cancers but not about the deeper ones. I find this kind of thing really amazing, especially when like Beamish or Cash it's just a pet dog that detects illnesses and not a dog that has been "trained"
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 10:56 am

having done a large amount of scent work, I can vouch for just how amazing the canine olfactory system is,

I will be doing more tracking work with vinnie over the next few months, hes a natural., I also have dogs working class C obed at the training club so regularly have to do scent discrimination at the club, will try to get a vid then next time we do it..
Back to top Go down
Losos

PostSubject: Re: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks for those links, seems that it is being taken seriously now which is good.
Back to top Go down
chris_collins

PostSubject: Re: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 2:13 pm

One of my tutors has been working very closely with Middlesex University in this very field. She has managed to produce scientific evidence to suggest that dogs do have the ability to sniff out cancer, specifically bladder and bowel cancer. Whilst in the grand scheme of things, this is all very early days, results are very positive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.confusedcanines.co.cc
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.   Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rottweiler 'sniffs out' owner's cancer.
Page 1 of 1