The dog community forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The dog community forum.

This is dog community forum for dog owners to discuss their dogs, dog breeds, dog health and care, dog grooming, dog shows and to learn alot more.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PC update - good news- I think

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynne

Lynne

PC update - good news- I think Empty
PostSubject: PC update - good news- I think   PC update - good news- I think Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 1:17 pm

Ok for those of you who know anything about PCs hopefully this will mean something to you...

My PC is fixed and will be picked up tomorrow or Monday. The noise was from the fan on the graphics card which also cooled the CPU???? apparently you can't easily get a replacement fan so he has replaceds my graphics gard with a much better one, he then tried to boot it up and it took ages so he went into smart (to see staus of hard disc) and discovered the hard drive was failing.

My hard drive was 40 Gb so he got and 80Gb drive and cloned my original disc and still it took ages to boot up, he says it copied all the bad sectors aswell as the info and programmes so he got another 80 Gb drive and put XP pro and office on it. He has also copied across all of my documents. He then put in a new processor and a something DVI, which will apparently speed up pc and make connecting the flat screen better with the something dvi???

He says he cant copy across installed programmes such as photoshop and I will need to install them with the discs (ah...there in lies an eensy weensy problen!!!) but I have a bigger better faster pc. He also says when I have looked at the 1st 80Gb drive and found what I need to reinstall, I should reformat it and use it purely as a storage device so I always have a good back up of photos and files etc.

As he was telling me all this I becgan to see £ signs and got quite worried but think I got a brilliant deal £30 all in leads, monitor 2 new hard drives XP pro office, graphiocs card, processor and his time. Is that a fair price? Will be glad to have my PC back will just have to do without some of the stuff that was installed but hey it will work!! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Losos

PostSubject: Re: PC update - good news- I think   PC update - good news- I think Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 1:38 pm

Well Lynne I know 'nowt about 'puters but that seems a fair price given that most IT contractors used to charge that per hour four years ago........and more in many cases.
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: PC update - good news- I think   PC update - good news- I think Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 2:18 pm

Lynne that was a really good price because I can't even buy those parts for £30.00.
Back to top Go down
https://thedogcommunity.forumotion.com
nero

nero

PostSubject: Re: PC update - good news- I think   PC update - good news- I think Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 3:52 pm

That's a good deal Lynne Very Happy you did very well.

DVI is the new industry standard for video graphics, it's replacing SVGA, it's short for Digital Video Interface, you'll notice the plug is bigger than the standard 15 pin SVGA one.
Back to top Go down
Lynne

Lynne

PostSubject: Re: PC update - good news- I think   PC update - good news- I think Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2008 5:33 am

Thanks guys. Originally h wanted £40 for just the monitor, but he "can't find" the monitior he was going to sell me so instead i get a 17" TFT thrown in to the price. Have kept his email address incase I need him again. I assume he gets a great deal on prices as he works for a university as a technical guy so everything he gets (except 2nd hand stuff like the monitor) has maufacture guarantees etc. And I assume the monitor must be OK as he knows I will just bug him if its not!! lol!

Havn't picked it up yet so will get it on Monday. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PC update - good news- I think   PC update - good news- I think Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PC update - good news- I think
Page 1 of 1