The dog community forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The dog community forum.

This is dog community forum for dog owners to discuss their dogs, dog breeds, dog health and care, dog grooming, dog shows and to learn alot more.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Adopting a dog.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
colin
Admin
colin

Adopting a dog. Empty
PostSubject: Adopting a dog.   Adopting a dog. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 12:38 pm

When looking to adopt a dog please go to the rescue centres in your area, although the larger organisations are well known, there are also many smaller organisations, often operated on a very small budget but still doing a wonderful job. The best rescues will all offer ongoing advice after you adopt a dog from them.

In some cases the rescues do not have dedicated kennels so that dogs waiting to be rehomed may be in either in a foster home or be rehomed directly from the previous owner. Many breed-rescues are run in association with a breed club.

There are many breed rescue centres that concentrate on a single breed and are often associated with a breed club.

I have a list of specific breed rescue centres on my computer, so if you’re looking to rescue a specific breed then please PM me.

What sort of dog?

Every dog you see at a rescue centre should have been assessed to determine the type of home the dog will need.

From the many sorts of dogs available it's important to choose a companion that will match your particular lifestyle. Though no dog should be left for more than a few hours, an older dog might be slightly more tolerant. Young dogs usually require more attention and a puppy will need constant attention for feeding, toileting and training throughout the day.

Although a few puppies do require rehoming most dogs, most will be from six months upwards.

Being intelligent animals all dogs require the mental stimulation of exercise beyond their own home and you should be realistic about the amount you can provide. Lack of proper exercise can lead to behavioural problems. Larger dogs will not always require more exercise than smaller dogs, but they do need more space and the rescue organisation will be able to advise you.

All dogs need regular grooming and some breeds may require regular professional attention that needs to be budgeted for.

A dog will be your responsibility for many years and may live for 15 years or more. They should never be bought for children whose interests may quickly change as they grow up.

So then what happens?

The aim of every dog-rescue and rehoming organisation is to find a loving home where the dog will remain for the rest of its life. Their homing procedure will usually involve a short questionnaire and most will arrange to call on you at home to verify your address and to advise on the suitability of fencing etc.

A good rehoming centre will ensure that your new dog is compatible with your children and any dogs or other pets you already have. Some may have a lower age limit for children.

The costs of rehoming including kennelling and veterinary care are high and most organisations will ask for a contribution from you of between perhaps £70 and £200 when adopting a dog. This will often include providing an ID chip, inoculation and neutering or a voucher for neutering.
Back to top Go down
https://thedogcommunity.forumotion.com

Adopting a dog.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The dog community forum. :: Rescue Chat :: Rescue infomation-
Jump to: