The dog community forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The dog community forum.

This is dog community forum for dog owners to discuss their dogs, dog breeds, dog health and care, dog grooming, dog shows and to learn alot more.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why do things go wrong at this time of year

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynne

Lynne

Why do things go wrong at this time of year Empty
PostSubject: Why do things go wrong at this time of year   Why do things go wrong at this time of year Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 10:05 am

Evil or Very Mad

OH came in last night and said his car broken, no power and warning lights flashing.....

So off it went to the car hospital today and he has just got it back with a new coil pack and leads and we are £160 worse off!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Losos

PostSubject: Re: Why do things go wrong at this time of year   Why do things go wrong at this time of year Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 11:21 am

Wow, I must be a bit out of touch 'cos that seems to be quite a high price for a coil and leads.

IMO opinion car troubles often do seem to happen now partly because the battery is getting more use (lights, heater, etc.) and if it's old then it drops the voltage which in turn puts a load on other things.

If Hel-on-fire ever comes into here you caould ask her what Dave thinks Smile
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Why do things go wrong at this time of year   Why do things go wrong at this time of year Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 11:59 am

ouch sore one... Im kinda glad I have nero just up the road.. hes saved me a fortune over the last few years..... coz i just get the parts he fits them.. everyone should have a nero handy
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: Why do things go wrong at this time of year   Why do things go wrong at this time of year Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 12:14 pm

Harvey I'm not convinced a £160 is that expensive including labour costs, depending on what the car is of course.
Back to top Go down
https://thedogcommunity.forumotion.com
Losos

PostSubject: Re: Why do things go wrong at this time of year   Why do things go wrong at this time of year Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 1:20 pm

colin wrote:
Harvey I'm not convinced a £160 is that expensive including labour costs, depending on what the car is of course.

Yes, I am a bit out of touch with rates etc. but if it takes 2 hours to change the coil and leads @ 45 pounds / hr/ then makes the coil & leads 70 quid. well I suppose that's what the dealers would charge. A Halfords coil and leads would surely be 30 to 40 even today don't you think Question
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Why do things go wrong at this time of year   Why do things go wrong at this time of year Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 1:20 pm

losos you bet me to the 600th post.... well done
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: Why do things go wrong at this time of year   Why do things go wrong at this time of year Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Losos wrote:
colin wrote:

Yes, I am a bit out of touch with rates etc. but if it takes 2 hours to change the coil and leads @ 45 pounds / hr/ then makes the coil & leads 70 quid. well I suppose that's what the dealers would charge. A Halfords coil and leads would surely be 30 to 40 even today don't you think Question

Your right, but you have got to remember that not everyone is mechanically minded, so have to rely on garages.

I've just looked up the price of a coil pack for the Range Rover, and then had to run upstair to change my underpants, as I couldn't even buy the part for £160.
Back to top Go down
nero

nero

PostSubject: Re: Why do things go wrong at this time of year   Why do things go wrong at this time of year Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 3:19 pm

Ignition leads are usually around £30, the coils are around £40, then you have labour charges on the top so it seems a lot but that's the way things are nowadays. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Lynne

Lynne

PostSubject: Re: Why do things go wrong at this time of year   Why do things go wrong at this time of year Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 11:02 am

Its an 02 Ford Focus.

OH can't even change a lightbulb so no danger would he tackle a car....he got a puncture when we were in Newcastle and I had to change the wheel. On the way back from Birmingham his brake warning light started top falsh and I told him to check Brake fluid (ok the same thing had happened to me before so I kind new that it might be low) and he didn't know where the brake fluid reservoir thingy(nice bit of technical jargon) was!!

So best to leave it to them that know what they are doing!! Denis if uyou ever move around here is nice lots of good walks for the Rotts!! Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: Why do things go wrong at this time of year   Why do things go wrong at this time of year Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:10 pm

Well after looking up the prices for the coil pack @ £35.96 and Bosch HT leads @ £37.99 for the four (£73.95) + vat, then I think that £160 including labour was a good price.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do things go wrong at this time of year   Why do things go wrong at this time of year Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why do things go wrong at this time of year
Page 1 of 1