The dog community forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The dog community forum.

This is dog community forum for dog owners to discuss their dogs, dog breeds, dog health and care, dog grooming, dog shows and to learn alot more.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Onyx has split a claw.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
colin
Admin
colin

Onyx has split a claw. Empty
PostSubject: Onyx has split a claw.   Onyx has split a claw. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Well I have just come back in from walking the dogs and noticed that Onyx was playing a lot of attention to his rear left foot, so I had a look and saw that he had split his middle left claw, thankfully it wasn't cut, but was obviously giving him some grief.

Anyway I have clipped off the lose bit and thoroughly washed and cleaned it, and treated it with Betadine antiseptic spray.

Now my question is, as it's not cut is there anything that the vet can do for him that I haven't?

Have any of you had a dog split his/her claw and what did you do?

Thankfully he is now fast asleep so it can't be causing him any pain.
Back to top Go down
https://thedogcommunity.forumotion.com
nero

nero

PostSubject: Re: Onyx has split a claw.   Onyx has split a claw. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 2:30 pm

I would have the remaining bit of claw removed Colin just in case dirt gets in there, a salt bath 4 times a day helps and I use Gentian Violet solution, you can also use Hydrogen Peroxide (10%) solution, this helps the quick to withdraw and helps protect it.

Just keep it clean and don't cover it with a dressing, let the air get to it.

Nero lost a claw this spring when he scraped the ground after having a wee, dogs do this to leave their trade mark so to speak, it took a while to grow back in again but he's OK now.
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: Onyx has split a claw.   Onyx has split a claw. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:06 am

sounds like you have it all sorted there mate..............
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: Onyx has split a claw.   Onyx has split a claw. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:11 pm

Den as I told you on the phone, I took Onyx to the vets yesterday afternoon and they decided to leave the claw as it was as he still had two thirds of it and he had only lost the outer part.

What he did say was that I had done everything possible and that there was nothing he could do, and then he charged me £30.00 for the privilege.
Back to top Go down
https://thedogcommunity.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Onyx has split a claw.   Onyx has split a claw. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Onyx has split a claw.
Page 1 of 1