The dog community forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The dog community forum.

This is dog community forum for dog owners to discuss their dogs, dog breeds, dog health and care, dog grooming, dog shows and to learn alot more.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
boobah

boobah

ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY Empty
PostSubject: ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY   ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 4:49 pm

As most of you know,Asta had her second op on a damaged cruciate last thursday.She is recovering brilliantly yet again.Her first one was damaged at the beginning of the year,popped her along to our vet to have her looked at as she was limping on her back leg and when standing she was tending to stand on her tip toes.As soon as my vet looked at her he said she looks like she has classic symptoms of cruciate damage.So off she went for x-rays to check for damage and yes sadly her cruciate was torn.

Now with the cruciate being damaged my vet said there is really no option but surgery for Asta her cruciate wouldn't heal.If left unattended arthritis can set in very quickly,within weeks. We had the surgery done by Andrew Millar who may I say had done a fantastic job on her first time round I was a nervous wreck first time round as I never knew what to expect but this time due to me doing loads of research about TPLO surgery,I sailed it all.I was advised not to research internet as it is quite frightening but being ever so inquisitive I couldn't resist and found loads of answers to all my questions.When I get a bit of spare time I'll post some links to allow you all to see what exactly it all entails.IMO it was the only way to go with asta being such a big dog,there are other techniques but I felt they wouldn't suit her.

Anyway 7 days later,she had her first walk outside today.Boy oh boy was she a happy bunny,have to say she's been a first class patient,never moans much.Even though she's had to be confined to barracks ie;crate for 7 days.She's only been allowed out for her needs,then back in again as the first week its crucial to keep them from bouncing around.She's to avoid stairs for a month so she does get carried upstairs to her bed at night,which is no easy feat lol.Try carrying 40 kilos of Rottweiler up a set of stairs and back down in the morning.Mind you it's better than last time as I ended up in torture.Slept on a settee for 4 weeks by her side,decided noooooooo way was I doing that again.

She goes back to my vet next Thursday to have her staples removed,then has x-rays at 8 weeks to see that everythings ok.In amongst that it's,loads of walks building up to 3x20 min walks a day by 8 weeks and a 1hr walks 3x a day in 6mnths time.

If anyone has anything they wanna ask feel free,I'll post some pics shortly of her last op and take some of her other she has just had done and post those too.I've had shona over visiting to see how fast she has recovered,I'll leave her to have her say herself,xxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
colin
Admin
colin

PostSubject: Re: ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY   ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 5:09 pm

That's a fantastic post, and I'm really glad that Asta doing great.
Back to top Go down
https://thedogcommunity.forumotion.com
boobah

boobah

PostSubject: Re: ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY   ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 5:12 pm

colin wrote:
That's a fantastic post, and I'm really glad that Asta doing great.

I have my moments lol,thanks Colin, Wink xxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY   ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 2:21 am

Im so glad you posted this x
Back to top Go down
boobah

boobah

PostSubject: Re: ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY   ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 6:53 pm

kaos wrote:
Im so glad you posted this x

Thanks hun,hasn't been easy especially for Asta but she's getting there and getting stronger by the day,xxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
kaos

kaos

PostSubject: Re: ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY   ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 3:37 am

having been at lorraines house every day this week, I have to say, im gob smacked at how quickly Asta has recovered from this, I have been with her on her walk, she so strong on that leg, its amazing,.

She is so good at not chewing the staples and so on, shes such a good girl
Back to top Go down
Lynne

Lynne

PostSubject: Re: ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY   ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 4:45 am

I have no idea how I missed any of this Lorraine sometimes I think I must read stuff and just not take it in lol!

So belated hugs for a worried Boobah, and Healing hugs for Asta and now some Happy hugs for all since Asta doing so well xxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY   ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ASTA'S TPLO SURGERY
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The dog community forum. :: Everything to do with your dog's health-
Jump to: